Garnier teamed up with Terracycle to allow users to download a prepaid USP shipping label to mail empty cosmetic packaging back and call a number for a free pick-up of their box.
Who is TerraCycle®? More than just a recycling company.
- If you haven’t heard of this highly awarded recycling company yet, we’re pretty confident you will. That’s because their mission doesn’t stop at recycling. They’re out to Eliminate the Idea of Waste®.
- Founded in 2001, TerraCycle® has become one of the fastest-growing green companies in the world, specializing in making new products out of used products. You buy it and recycle it. They’ll turn it into a new product with a new purpose.
- The formula is simple, but the benefit is pretty amazing.
A comprehensive solution to waste.
- Working with TerraCycle®, Garnier is the first to provide a comprehensive solution to personal care and beauty packaging waste anywhere in the world.
- No small feat considering that personal care and beauty products account for 1/3 of all landfill waste. Together, we’re collecting millions of pieces of waste globally for the purposes of reducing the amount of waste sent to landfills.
HOW IT WORKS
Working together to make a difference.
- We’re sponsoring a worldwide Personal Care and Beauty Brigade® to collect and recycle packaging with TerraCycle®.
- All kinds of personal care and beauty waste that would otherwise end up in our trash will be recycled or reused. You can join a Personal Care and Beauty Brigade right now. It’s pretty easy.
- Just look for the TerraCycle® logo on Garnier packaging. When it’s time to throw it out, send it to us.
- The best part? For every unit of waste we collect from you, Garnier will contribute two cents to the charity of the your choice.
RECYCLING TIPS & TRICKS
Not all recyclable symbols are created equal. You may be used to seeing the iconic recycling symbol by now, but not every one means the same thing. Here’s how to recognize what goes where.
HOW RECYCLABLE IS IT?
Soda bottles, oven ready meal trays
Milk bottles, cleaning liquids
Food trays, cling film bottled water*
Carrier bags, bin liners
Margarine tubs, microwaveable meals
Foam trays/cartons, vending cups, plastic cutlery/wrapping
Any other plastics not seen here
Look for a number from 1-7 in the center of the symbol. That number designates different types of plastic, and how recyclable it is. The numbers “1” and “2” are for the most environmentally friendly packages.
Are your personal products recyclable?
“PCR”, or Post-Consumer Recycled material, is basically material that, once it has served it’s intended purpose, gets reused as a different product. For example, our Garnier® Fructis® Pure Clean line is made with 50% post-consumer recycled PET plastic.
We think that’s pretty cool, and very good for the environment. Which personal care products can you recycle? Products that can’t be recycled include mascara, lipstick, and hair gel.
WHAT’S SAFE TO RECYCLE?
SHAMPOO / CONDITIONER
Recycle bottles, not caps
Recycle bottles, not spray cans
Recycle some bottles, not tubes
Recycle empty glass bottles, not caps
Recycle bottles/cans, not tubes
Learn more about Garnier’s program on their web site.